Established in 1905, the Ocean Shore Railroad Company’s tracks started in San Francisco and ran along a coastal route through the small villages that later became Pacifica. It hugged the mountain at Devil’s Slide and traveled south through Montara, Moss Beach, El Granada and Half Moon Bay. The route ended at Tunitas Creek, south of Half Moon Bay. Most of the Ocean Shore right of way was paved over and turned into Highway 1, reputed to be the most spectacular road on the West Coast. Signs of Pacifica’s early railroad days can be seen along the Rockaway headlands and along the railway berm in Pedro Point. The huge cut between Fairway Park and Vallemar was created by railroad engineers and three railroad stations still stand.
Railroad Sights in Pacifica Today
Rail buffs can still see signs of Pacifica's early railroad days. Portions of the right of way can be seen along the Rockaway headlands and along the railway berm in Pedro Point. The huge cut between Fairway Park and Vallemar was blasted out by railroad engineers. Three railroad stations still stand:
- One at the corner of Manor Drive and Oceana Boulevard, located at 108 Manor Drive.
- One is now the Vallemar Station Grill, located at 2125 Coast Highway.
- The third is Tobin Station on San Pedro Point (corner of Danmann Avenue and Shelter Cove Road). The former outdoor shelter was enclosed many years ago and is now a private residence.
For a history on the Oceanshore Railroad, visit the Pacifica Coastside Museum to view the excellent exhibit "A celebration of the Ocean Shore Railroad"